Earlier this month, Oregon-based ON1 announced a new state-of-the-art noise reduction application, ON1 NoNoise AI. ON1 is well known for its flagship photo editor, ON1 Photo RAW, and its series of plug-ins, like ON1 Effects, ON1 Resize and ON1 HDR.
Leveraging the artificial intelligence underpinning ON1’s software, including its recent ON1 Portrait AI plug-in, NoNoise AI ‘aims to give better results than any other noise reduction application on the market today.’ It’s a lofty goal. The app uses AI-based machine learning to remove luminance and color noise while maintaining the detail in an image. ON1 promises that the app will differentiate itself from the competition through its results and its speed.
|ON1 claims that its new NoNoise AI application is up to ten times faster than other leading image noise removal products.|
‘This product has been in development for quite a while. We’ve constantly been training the AI models, reviewing results, and comparing those results with other noise removal products out there today. It was no easy task,’ says Dan Harlacher, VP of Product at ON1. ‘We knew there was a high bar to clear to say this is the fastest and best product for removing image noise while giving photographers the best results.’
|Before (left) and after (right) using NoNoise AI. Click to enlarge. Image credit: ON1|
ON1 NoNoise AI offers fast live previews and includes an Auto mode that incorporates user preferences. The software integrates with existing workflows and supports the most common photo editors and file formats, including the ability to save DNG raw files to maintain the entire tonal and color range of your photos.
In addition to AI-based noise reduction, other key features include:
- Fast and easy-to-use controls: ON1 states that results can be viewed in ‘only a fraction’ of the time it takes competing apps to produce viewable results. ‘There are also far fewer controls to adjust without the limitation of sacrificing sharpness to reduce image noise.’
- AI-based demosaicing: When considering raw images, considerable noise is due to the demosaicing process of raw processing. This step is combined with noise reduction in ON1 NoNoise AI, resulting in better noise reduction while increasing detail and sharpness.
- Compatibility: You can open raw photos from more than 800 cameras in ON1 NoNoise AI, including from Fujifilm cameras. You can save your images in DNG raw files.
- Combine and mask: ON1 NoNoise AI includes the option to combine multiple renditions of a photo along with multiple photos as layers. You can use built-in masking tools to blend and combine them at varying levels of noise reduction and sharpening, allowing for local editing and fine-tuned control.
|ON1 includes masking tools and a user-influenced Auto function. Click to enlarge. Image credit: ON1|
- Auto button with user preferences: The Auto button in ON1 NoNoise AI analyzes a photo and determines the correct amount of noise reduction using AI models. Customer preference will also be considered, such as whether the user wants to maintain some grain in an image or not, for example.
- Exclusive progressive sharpening: ON1’s exclusive Progressive Sharpening algorithm is included in its new noise reduction software. This allows the software to enhance sharpness and details in a photo without introducing halos and artifacts.
- Presets: Users can create their own presets, and the software comes with some presets to help you get started.
- Batch processing: You can batch process an entire folder of images in ON1 NoNoise AI. For each image in a batch, the ‘correct amount of noise reduction and sharpening can be added.’ You can also copy and paste settings from one photo to another.
- Plug-in support: ON NoNoise AI works as a standalone application and as a plug-in for Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Lightroom Classic, Capture One, Affinity Photo, Corel Paint Shop Pro and Apple Photos.
‘Our dedicated AI team is hitting their stride with this release. Last fall, Portrait AI was the team’s first AI-based product release, which has been a huge success. From the start, we didn’t want to build an AI-based product just because AI is the new trend in software development,’ says Craig Keudell, President of ON1. ‘The team realizes the potential benefits of implementing AI methodologies in photo editing applications. When AI is done right, it can be a beneficial technology from the photographer. AI can greatly simplify the editing process for the photographer while creating amazing images.’
ON1 NoNoise AI will be available in the second half of June. Owners of ON1 Photo RAW 2021 or other 2021 ON1 apps and plug-ins will receive discounted pricing when preordering. For new customers, you can preorder ON1 NoNoise AI now for $69.99.
|If you’d like to win a free copy of ON1 NoNoise AI, be sure to submit your noisy images to ON1.|
Photographers are also invited to submit their noisy images to ON1 via ON1’s NoNoise AI Challenge. Moderators will go through submissions, process selected noisy photos in ON1 NoNoise AI and share the results on the challenge page. Photographers whose photos are selected and published will receive ON1 NoNoise AI for free when it releases. To learn more about the challenge, click here.
Author: Go to Source