Fujifilm has introduced the XF 18mm F1.4 R LM WR wide-angle prime lens, which is equivalent to 27mm when mounted on an X-mount body. This compact lens is surprisingly light given its fast maximum aperture, weighing in at 370 grams (13.1 ounces).
The lens has a total of 15 elements (in 9 groups) and includes both aspherical and extra-low dispersion glass. The six-element focus group is driven by a ‘near-silent’ linear motor. The minimum focus distance of the 18mm F1.4 is 11cm (4.3″), with a maximum magnification of 0.15x.
The ‘WR’ in the name of the lens indicates weather sealing, which is in eight locations, according to Fujifilm. The lens will function at temperatures as low as -14°C/+14°F, according to the company. You’ll find an aperture ring on the 18mm F1.4, with an Auto position that locks the ring in place.
The Fujifilm XF 18mm F1.4 R LM WR lens will be available in late May for $999.
Fujifilm Announces New FUJINON XF18mmF1.4 R LM WR Lens
A Versatile New Take on a Popular Focal Length
Valhalla, N.Y., April 15, 2021 – FUJIFILM North America Corporation is pleased to announce its FUJINON XF18mmF1.4 R LM WR lens (XF18mmF1.4), expected to be launched in May, 2021. With a 35mm equivalent focal length of 27mm, and a maximum aperture of F1.4, it is the 39th lens in Fujifilm’s broad line of interchangeable lenses, made exclusively for the X Series family of mirrorless digital cameras.
Its lightweight, highly portable design makes it an ideal lens for everything from landscapes and cityscapes to portraits and weddings. Added flexibility in dimly lit environments is also provided through the lens’ wide F1.4 aperture, which also produces incredibly smooth bokeh.
“Keeping to our X Series philosophy of creating lightweight and compact imaging solutions that produce phenomenal image quality, XF18mmF1.4 is a well-balanced and versatile option for any image-maker,” said Victor Ha, senior director of marketing and product management, Electronic Imaging Division at FUJIFILM North America Corporation. “We are really excited to see what stories and images our community of image-makers will create with this lens. It’s certainly ideal for street photography and landscapes, but we’re also looking forward to seeing how it will be used to make wedding and portrait images. There are a lot of creative possibilities with this lens, and I’m confident we’re going to see some great content.”
Exceptional optical performance, even at F1.4
- XF18mmF1.4 utilizes three aspherical lenses and an extra-low dispersion (ED) lens among its 15 lens elements, spread across 9 groups, to minimize chromatic and comatic aberration. This means the finest details of an image will be reproduced with high levels of sharpness.
- The focusing group of six lens elements moves in unison to minimize aberration fluctuations and deliver consistent sharpness at any focusing position.
Designed for versatility
- XF18mmF1.4 has a 35mm equivalent focal length of 27mm and can achieve focus on subjects 4.33in (11cm) away from the front lens element. This gives the lens a broad range of applications, from making images of everyday moments, to using it to create sweeping landscapes.
Fast, accurate, and near-silent autofocus
- XF18mmF1.4 uses an internal autofocus (AF) system, driven by a powerful linear motor, to provide fast, accurate, and near-silent AF. From the lens’ minimum object
distance (MOD) of 7.87in (20cm) to infinity, the focusing group of lens elements travels a total of just 0.1in (2.5mm). This means focus can be acquired in as quickly
as 0.04 seconds*1 .
- If the lens must travel beyond MOD to acquire focus, focus can still be achieved in as quickly as 0.25 seconds.
- For precise control when manually focusing, components in the manual focusing ring assembly have been specially engineered to respond with precision, especially when the focusing ring is rotated slightly.
Compact, lightweight and weather-resistant
- XF18mmF1.4 has a 62mm filter thread, measures 2.98in (7.56cm) in length, and weighs just 0.81lbs. (370g). This makes it incredibly lightweight and portable. While the lens barrel is made from metal, it is specially designed to minimize its weight without compromising its overall strength.
- The lens has weather-resistant seals at eight locations along the lens barrel, making it resistant to dust, moisture, and temperatures as low as 14°F (-10°C) when used with a weather-resistant X-Series digital camera.
- XF18mmF1.4 is designed with an A (Auto) Position Lock to lock the aperture ring into the A position, preventing accidental movement.
Optional accessory: LH-XF18 Lens Hood
Fujifilm has also developed a rectangular, aluminum lens hood for XF18mmF1.4 that helps to prevent lens flare and ghosting which can occur when beams of light strike the front element of the lens. The LH-XF18 Lens Hood will be made available in late May, 2021.
Pricing and Availability
FUJINON XF18mmF1.4 R LM WR Lens is expected to be available in late May, 2021 at a manufacturer’s suggested retail price of $999 USD and $1,275 CDN. The LX-HF18 lens hood accessory will also be available at this time for a manufacturer’s suggested retail price of $69 USD ($80 CDN). For more information, please visit https://fujifilm-x.com/en- us/products/lenses/xf18mmf14-r-lm-wr/.
*1 When using the XF18mmF1.4 R LM WR lens with the FUJIFILM X-T4 digital camera, in High Performance mode with phase detection AF active.
Fujifilm XF 18mm F1.4 R LM WR specifications
|Lens type||Prime lens|
|Max Format size||APS-C / DX|
|Focal length||18 mm|
|Lens mount||Fujifilm X|
|Number of diaphragm blades||9|
|Special elements / coatings||1 ED + 3 aspherical elements|
|Minimum focus||0.20 m (7.87″)|
|Motor type||Linear Motor|
|Full time manual||No|
|Focus distance limiter||No|
|Weight||370 g (0.82 lb)|
|Diameter||69 mm (2.72″)|
|Length||76 mm (2.99″)|
|Filter thread||62 mm|
Author: Go to Source